Asylum and Children’s Law Fellow
Mid-South Immigration Advocates (MIA) is a Memphis-based nonprofit law firm whose core mission is to provide free and affordable immigration representation to low-income individuals and families in the Mid-South region. MIA also engages in community education and administrative advocacy in the Memphis metro area.
MIA’s Asylum and Children’s Law Fellow will represent adults with children (AWC) and unaccompanied children (UC) in Immigration Court removal proceedings. The Fellow will also provide regular legal orientation presentations for custodians (LOPC) of unaccompanied children.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide direct legal services to AWCs seeking asylum before the Memphis Immigration Court and Board of Immigration Appeals;
- Provide direct legal services to UCs seeking asylum, Special Immigration Juvenile Status (SIJS), and other forms of relief from removal in the Memphis Immigration Court and regional probate and juvenile courts;
- Screen potential AWC and UC clients for all potential and available immigration benefits, including adjustment of status, asylum, withholding of removal, U nonimmigrant status, and/or SIJS;
- Conduct regular legal orientation presentations for custodians of UCs at Memphis Immigration Court, MIA office, or other Memphis-area locations.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited college or university;
- Admission to any state bar (Tennessee preferred);
- Prior experience and/or coursework in immigration law and procedure;
- Spanish fluency or high proficiency preferred;
- Strong interpersonal, communication, advocacy, computer, and organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community, including children and families;
- Flexibility to work Saturdays as needed;
- Experience working with survivors of crime, domestic violence, and/or torture preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Position will be based at MIA’s Memphis office. Salary range $40,000 – 45,000, commensurate with experience. Health insurance allowance available.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Deadline May 31, 2016; projected start date June 15, 2016.