Update: Thanks to everyone who applied! This position has been filled.
Defensores de la inmigración Mid-South (MIA) is seeking a full-time legal assistant. Qualified candidates must be fluent in English and Spanish, with excellent interpretation and translation skills. A bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred. Candidates must be detail-oriented, compassionate, and have an interest in immigration law. Experience with administrative work or immigration law is preferred, but not required. Legal assistants are responsible for conducting weekly presentations for families of unaccompanied immigrant children regarding their rights and responsibilities in the immigration system; therefore, qualified candidates must be comfortable with public speaking and have strong, engaging communication skills.
- Communicating with Spanish-speaking clients by phone, including client intake.
- Coordinating client appointments.
- Assisting in client interviews with interpretation or other support as needed.
- Translating Spanish-language documents.
- Sending correspondence to clients (copies of notices, biometrics appointments, or other enclosures as needed).
- Assisting attorneys in opening, clausura, y el mantenimiento de los archivos según sea necesario, incluyendo la presentación.
- Tracking time for work done on “billable” cases or projects.
- Completing immigration forms or applications under supervision of staff attorneys.
- Conducting Legal Orientation Program for Custodians (LOPCI) presentations.
- Creating/maintaining list of social services for major regions of Arkansas, Misisipí, y Tennessee.
- Providing outreach to sponsors for LOPC.
- Data entry.