MIA’s temporary, full-time Asylum Initiative Coordinator (based in Memphis) supports attorneys and accredited representatives in their work with a variety of MIA clients, with a focus on protection for recent Afghan arrivals, including asylum, Special Immigrant Visas, and Temporary Protected Status. Qualified candidates must be fluent in English and Dari or Pashto, with excellent interpretation and translation skills. This position may require regional travel to New Orleans, LA, Nashville, TN, or other locations in which interviews and hearings may be scheduled. This is a temporary position. Employment is guaranteed for no more than one year, and the end-date will be agreed upon at hiring.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Communicating with Dari or Pashto-speaking clients by phone, including client intake.
- Coordinating client appointments.
- Assisting in client interviews with interpretation or other support as needed.
- Translating Dari or Pashto-language documents.
- Sending correspondence to clients (copies of notices, biometrics appointments, or other enclosures as needed).
- Assisting attorneys and representatives in opening, closing, and maintaining files as needed, including filing.
- Completing immigration forms or applications under supervision of attorneys and representatives.
- Travel, including overnight, to assist clients and attorneys in hearings and interviews.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- English and Dari or Pashto fluency required, with excellent interpretation and translation skills.
- Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, compassionate, and have an interest in providing immigration services on an interdisciplinary team.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, advocacy, computer, and organizational skills required.
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, compassionate, and have an interest in immigration law.
- Experience with administrative work or immigration law is preferred, but not required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, insurance, and personal transportation.
Compensation & Benefits
Position will be based at MIA’s Memphis office. Salary range commensurate with qualifications and experience. MIA offers health insurance, disability insurance, a retirement plan, and paid time off and holidays.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume with a cover letter to by September 31, 2022. A criminal background check and verification of references will be required before acceptance of the final offer. MIA is an equal opportunity employer.